In this post we will learn how to enable/disable Express update from configuration manager console for windows 10 devices. This feature will start from Current Branch 1702. As we aware that windows 10 cumulative update is larger in size and contains all previously released fixes. Current branch has enabled a new feature express update to overcome this. Express update consist of smaller updates which leads to faster installation. This features will enable a Windows 10 client to download only differential files from previous cumulative update
HOW EXPRESS UPDATE DOWNLOAD WORK
- Once Windows update clients initiate an express update download, WU (windows update) initially download a Stub (Stub is a part of express package)
- Stub will passes to windows installer. Windows installer uses this stub to do local inventory and check the delta files on the devices and compare
- Windows update client initiate the download the ranges via request made by windows installer
- The client downloads these ranges and passes them to the Windows Installer. Windows installer tells the Windows Update client that all necessary ranges have been downloaded. Hence here the download is completed and ready to install
Below graph shows the size difference of CU and Express update
HOW TO ENABLE EXPRESS UPDATE
We have to do changes in Software update point to enable express update. For enabling this settings, navigate to
Administration > Site Configuration > Sites > Configure Site Components > select Software Update Point
On the Update Files tab you see two option
- Download full files for all approved update
- Download both full files for all approved and express installation files for win10
Select the express update option and click Apply
|NOTE: You can’t configure the software update point component to only download express updates.|
HOW TO ENABLE CLIENT SETTINGS FOR EXPRESS UPDATE INSTALLATION
To enable client to download the express update, you need to create new client setting and deploy to clients. This setting creates a new HTTP listener that listens for requests to download express installation files through the files you specify
- Navigate to Administration > Client Setting
- Click on properties
- Select the Software update group and choose YES
- Configure the port used to download content for Express Updates
HOW TO DOWNLOAD EXPRESS UPDATE
Once express update option has been enabled from SUP, start the synchronization. Once the sync completed, download the updates as normal.
HOW TO VERIFY
- Once the downloading completed, go to the folder and check if any folder mentioned like below
- In console right click on the update and select the properties.
HOW TO DISABLE EXPRESS UPDATE
Express update handling is a hectic job for sccm admins, it will consume more space in your primary/Secondary/DP. Its always ran into issues. Below are the possible steps to disable the Express update
- Disable the option from SUP and start sync
- Decline the patches from WSUS , remove them from SCCM database and re-sync the patches
- Manually delete the reference from the SCCM database
HOW TO DELETE EXPRESS UPDATE FROM SCCM DB
- Check for existing the express update. User below query
|Select * from dbo.CI_ContentFiles f where f.FileName like ‘%express.cab%’|
2. Delete the express files entries and with the following command
|Delete from dbo.CI_ContentFiles f where f.FileName like ‘%express.cab%’|
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?