Windows 10 is the great innovation from Microsoft. Windows 10 becomes more secure, reliable and efficient than ever before, offering features that will actually save you time and frustration as well as keep your computer protected. As we aware that win 7 is in end of life period, most the customers and users are upgrading win 7 and win 8 to win 10. So making the win 10 compliance is the difficult task for SCCM admins. In this post we will cover most windows 10 patching errors and its solutions
- Introduction to patch installation
- 0x80004004 – User aborted the installation
- 0x80070005 – Access denied error
- 0x80070057 – Invalid parameter error
- 0x80070070 – Disk Full error
- 0x800705B4 – Timeout error
- 0x80070643 – Install Failure
- 0x80240017 – Update not applicable error
- 0x87D0070C – Software update execution timeout
- 0X87d00651 – Post scan failure
- 0x87D00664 – Update jobs has been cancelled
INTRODUTCION TO PATCH INSTALLATION
First step to troubleshoot any patch installation issue is to always analyze the logs. Below are the logs to be referred
- Windowsupdate.log in C:\Windows
- WUAHandler.log, UpdateStore.log, UpdatesDeployment.log,locationservices.log in C:\Windows\CCM\Logs
Use CMtrace tool to view the log which highlights the errors in RED as sample shown below
Check whether the patches has been successfully downloaded in C:\Windows\CCMcache. Sort it by date and check the folders with current month date.Always try to run Windows update troubleshooter. This fixes basic issues with patches which might be stopping the installation. Windows update troubleshooter is an inbuilt feature for win10. Run SFC /Scannow command after or before windows update troubleshooter. It should finish with no error. If any error need to find that first
- 0x80004004 – User aborted the installation
While windows update installation user might abort the installation. In this scenario try initiating the clients policies. Open Run and type control smscfgrc , Then initiate the client polices as mentioned below
2. 0x80070005 – Access denied error
Check if the user has SCCM accounts added in local administrator accounts. Search for “Edit Local users and groups” in windows search and click it.Once opened select groups and then in right window double click the Administrator groups and Check if your respective Service Account is added. If not add it.
3.0x80070057 – Invalid parameter error
Rename the software distribution folder. To do this first stop the Windowsupdate service.Click Windows+R and type services.msc and enter .Then right click on the windowsupdate service and stop it
Then Go to C:\Windows. Click on the Software distribution folder and Press F2. It will allow the folder to be renamed. Change the folder name to SoftwareDistribution.old.
Start the windows update service now. It will create Software distribution folder again
4.0x80070070 – Disk Full error
Clearing the files and creating more space in C drive will fix the issue. Clear the files in the folder C:\Windows\CCMCache. Do not delete the folder, only files in it
5.0x800705B4 – Timeout error
Happens due to network issue or if any patch takes longer time to install than expected. Manually installing the patches will fix the issue. For manual installation run a command prompt as administrator
In the administrator command prompt run the below command Dism.exe /online /add-package /packagepath:” C:\Windows\ccmcache\1\windows10.0-KB4041689-x64.cab”
6.0x80070643 – Install Failure
Mostly happens for application updates like .net, Silverlight or SCCM client installation. For .net and Silverlight repairing/reinstallaing the application will fix the issue.Right click on the windows icon and select run. In the run type appwiz.cpl
In the dialog opened select Silverlight and then click uninstall. It will uninstall the app. After uninstallation download new version of Silverlight from Microsoft site and then install it
7. 0x80240017 – Update not applicable error.
Click Windows+R and type services.msc and enter .Then right click on the windowsupdate service and stop it
Rename software distribution folder (Please go to step 3) . After renaming , in run command type control smscfgrc and enter. Select action Tab and run Machine policy, Software Update scan cycle and then software update deployment evaluation cycle in the order mentioned
8. 0x87D0070C – Software update execution timeout – perform the steps mentioned in step 5
9. 0X87d00651 – Post scan failure
Rename the software distribution folder(refer step 3) and rebuild the WMI to fix the issue.
sc config winmgmt start= disabled
net stop winmgmt /y
for /f %%s in (‘dir /b *.dll’) do regsvr32 /s %%s
sc config winmgmt start= auto
net start winmgmt
for /f %%s in (‘dir /s /b *.mof *.mfl’) do mofcomp %%s
10. 0x87D00664 – Update jobs has been cancelled
In run command type control smscfgrc and enter. Select action Tab and run Machine policy, Software Update scan cycle and then software update deployment evaluation cycle in the order mentioned
- Is there any other common windows 10 patch installation error? Ans: Yes its there , we shall updating the post
- Is this solution really works ? Ans :mostly yes it is , But sometimes you have to do more
- Why scan failed with error = 0x8024401c is not included ? Ans : We are preparing doc for the same error and will be published in separate article
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?